A TEN – SEMESTER CURRICULUM FOR THE DOCTOR OF MEDICINE (MD) PROGRAM
The School of Medicine will be the second owned by the Tanzania Episcopal Conference (TEC)
The MD training programme is the most pivotal upon which hinges the Mission of the College in its quest to enable Tanzania to produce enough doctors and other health professionals to achieve a satisfactory level of “Health for All” in the foreseeable future. As it is the current trend in other University Medical Colleges in Tanzania and elsewhere –to semesterize and modularize all academic programmes, SFUCHAS has adopted a similar model for its programmes.
The objective of the College, as regards the MD Course, is to train competent general duty Medical Officers who after the appropriate period of internship can, without supervision, render adequate medical care both to the individual patient and to the community in differing situations.
The graduate therefore should be able to:
- Administer the health services of a district, and train, organize and direct the health team of medical and paramedical personnel in a district, in a hospital and in a health Centre.
- Conduct his/her activities so that they are relevant to the community by understanding the significant social, political, economic, psychological and ecological factors of the community
- Identify and solve the major health problems of the community under his/her care, according to the national and community priorities by organizing and providing preventive and curative community health services.
- Organize and provide routine and emergency, preventive and curative medical care for the individual by:
- Knowing the normal structure, function, development and growth of the human body and personality.
- Recognizing disorders and abnormalities of structure, function, development and growth of the human body and personality.
- Examining patients both clinically and with the relevant investigative procedures
- Evaluating the results of the examination and investigations and reaching an appropriate diagnosis.
- Administering to the patients the appropriate medical/pediatric/surgical/mental health/gynecological and obstetric care and treatment.
- Training and directing the health team in all of the above as required.
- Accept the responsibility of continuing his/her professional education, in order to utilize advances in medical science and to benefit from further postgraduate training provided in Tanzania or elsewhere.
- Recognize the limit of his/her competence and refer such issues to higher levels.