About the Institute of Allied Health Sciences (IAHS)
The Institute of Allied Health Sciences (IAHS) is part of the St. Francis University College of Health and allied sciences (SFUCHAS). It started in 2014 by offering two diploma programs; a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences and Diploma in Pharmaceutical Sciences. All the programs are registered and recognized by the National Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (NACTVET), collaboratively with the Ministry of Health (MOH). The institute is recognized by the Health Laboratory Practitioner’s Council (HLPC) and Pharmacy Council (PC) as an institution that meets the standards for offering training and producing competent graduates who are able to provide medical services effectively in different healthcare settings in Tanzania. The institute uses Competency Based Education Training (CBET) systems and the latest tools in providing the best learning experiences to students and academic staff.
IAHS – Coordinator
Currently, Mr John Gervas Kazitanga is the Coordinator of Allied Health Sciences. He obtained his Bachelor of Pharmacy from the Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences (CUHAS) in 2014. He has served as the head of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences before embarking on his current position at the Institute. His prime role is to coordinate both managerial and academic activities of the Institute of Allied Health Sciences as well as the teaching hospitals. He also teaches Basic Pharmacognosy, Control and Prevention of diseases, and Monitoring and Evaluation of Medicines use, in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
IAHS Academic Officer
Mr Byamungu Zephrine Petro serves as the Academic officer at the Institute of Allied Health Sciences. He joined the Institute of Allied Health Sciences in 2017 after serving three years as the Health Laboratory Scientist II and Laboratory Manager at the City Council systems in Public hospitals. He obtained his Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (BMLS) from the Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences (CUHAS) Bugando in 2013. He also attended a one year Internship training in Medical Laboratory Disciplines at the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital (MZRH) from September 2013 to September 2014.
Before the current position, Mr Byamungu has served as the Departmental Academic officer in the Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences. He also teaches Clinical Chemistry, Diagnostic Pathology in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Ethics and Professionalism in the department of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
At the IAHS, Mr Byamungu is entitled to coordinate all academic activities at the Institute of Allied Health Sciences as well as teaching hospitals. His expertise, competencies and professional etiquette in the medical laboratory disciplines have made him work closely with the Ministry of Health-Training section in examining students in the End of semester I and II examinations as the Chief External Examiner since 2016.
In 2020, Mr Byamungu participated and coordinated the generation of E-Learning teaching materials for the National E-Learning platform under the Ministry of Health (MOH) on the programme of ordinary diploma (NTA level 6) in Medical Laboratory Sciences country-wise during the COVID 19 outbreak.
Core activities at the faculty of Medicine
Teaching (Basic and clinical sciences), Research (recent research work for each department is listed in respective departments), and community services
Affiliated (Teaching) Hospitals
- St. Francis referral Hospital
- Morogoro Regional referral, Morogoro
- Good Samaritan Cancer Hospital (Pathology and Oncology)
DEPARTMENTS – IAHS
Head of Department: Mr. Sylvester Saguda Edward, BMLS (Tutor)
- Byamungu Zephrine Petro-BMLS, Tutor
- Paschal Stanley Lugembe-BLS, MSC. MIM , Tutor & IAHS examination officer
- Edwin J. Matee-BMLS, Tutor
- Gilbert N. Mariwa-BMLS, Tutor & Departmental examination officer
- Denis Benkiko, BMLS, Tutor & Laboratory Instructor
- Christina Kivamba, BMLS, Tutor & Laboratory Instructor
- Dr. Stephen Kadilo, MD, MSC. Candidate, Tutor & Dean of student
- Stellamaris Nombo- DMLS, Laboratory technician
- Emmanuel Masuke, DMLS, Assistant Tutor
- Abrahman Hango-DMLS and Dipl.Clinical medicine, Assistant Tutor
Head of Department: Mr. Gabenus Mhomanga, BPHARM (Tutor)
- John Gervas Kazitanga, BPHARM, Tutor
- Simon Khombe, BPHARM, Tutor
- Prisca Kyando , BPHARM, Tutor
- Sylivester Andrew, BPHARM, Tutor
- Deusdedith Claud Chamla, Dipl.Clinical medicine, MD, Tutor
- Eli-ukende Mlau, DPS, Assistant Tutor & Departmental examination officer
- Kiria Laizer, DPS, Assistant Tutor
- Jimson Sanga, DPS, Assistant Tutor
- Christophora Cheyo, DPS, Assistant Tutor
- Nelson Nyenza, DPS, Assistant Tutor
The Institute of allied health sciences is headed by the Coordinator and other appointed officers as indicated below:-